Ecas is for anyone over 18 who:
- Has a physical disability
- Lives in Edinburgh and Lothian (Edinburgh only for the befriending service)
Grants are for people of any age.
In deciding whether someone is eligible for our services, we follow the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) definition of physical disability:
“You are disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities:
- ‘substantial’ is more than minor or trivial, e.g. it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed
- ‘long-term’ means 12 months or more, e.g. a breathing condition that develops as a result of a lung infection.”
The following conditions, on their own, do not meet our criteria:
- Back pain
- Behavioural disorders
- Developmental delay
- Down’s syndrome
- Learning difficulties
- Psychiatric disorders
- Visual or hearing impairment
Find out if you are eligible for our services
Find out more at the activities, befriending or grants sections on this site. If you’d like to apply for one of our services, complete the application form. If you need help to do this please contact us.
You can use either our activity service or our befriending service but not both at the same time. Sometimes people move from befriending into an activity, or the other way around. We’re always happy to speak to you about what will work best for you.