What does the role involve?
Befriending is a highly responsible form of volunteering. Once matched you will visit a physically disabled person and build an ongoing one-to-one supportive relationship with them. Distance Befrienders will develop a relationship with their match over the phone or by voice or video app.
You will be expected to:
- Commit time to an agreed schedule of visiting with your befriendee
- Have an understanding of, and a commitment to, the objectives of Ecas
- Have an understanding of some of the issues affecting people living with physical disabilities
- Maintain a person-centred approach
- Attend induction training, ongoing training and regular support and supervision meetings with service staff
- Maintain boundaries
- Adhere to Ecas policies and procedures including carrying out site safety assessments of places visited during your role
- Maintain a respectful, responsible, professional attitude
- Able to listen and communicate well with befriendee, Ecas staff and members
- Able to relate well with client group
- Reliable and punctual
- Honest and respectful